Saturday 5 January 2019

SLJ Fairy Tern

Kia ora. I've been doing some SLJ. For this activity, I had to write a short description about the Fairy Tern.
Here is my Week 3 Day 3 Activity 1:

Fairy Tern

Fairy Terns are one of New Zealand's native birds. Fairy Terns eat small fish. They lay their eggs in sand(on the beach) that has been dented. Fairy Terns are one of New Zealand's most endangered bird species. There are about 40 left. They are becoming extinct because their nests are sometimes trampled by people and cars. You can help by not driving and watching were you step on the beach.
Fairy Tern

I think we can help this bird. 
Blog ya later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire,

    It's Leslie here and I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team, even though I live in far away Canada. It's lovely to see you choosing a Tern as your focus for this activity. In the north of Canada we have Arctic Terns. They are white/grey with black highlights but their colouring is different than the Fairy Terns - they remind me of being cousins, similar but not exactly the same.

    What a shame the Fairy Terns are so much at risk! They're beautiful birds. Have you ever seen one?

    You've made some good suggestions as to how to reduce our impact on this species - not driving over their territory and being careful to watch for eggs laid in the sand on beaches. I wonder if it's possible for certain beaches to be dedicated to species like this, meaning that people would not be allowed on them?

    There's so much to learn about all of the different birds, fish and mammals (and insects) whose space we share, isn't there? I hope we can better at reducing our impact on the world around us!!

    And I hope you'll keep working on these activities. You're doing a wonderful job!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.