Sunday 23 December 2018

SLJ Math question...

Ni Hao, it's Claire here again! I have been doing some more SLJ! For this activity, I had to solve a math problem.
Here is my Week 1 Day 2 Activity 3:

You receive a cactus for your birthday. Too keep it alive, you must give it 3 milliliters(ml) of water every day. Over 1 full year, how much water will you need to give to your cactus?

First I need to figure out how many days are in a year and that's 365. Next I have to know how many milliliters I give to my cactus and that's 3 ml. Now I times 365 by 3.

365 x 3=

or

365
x
    3

If you don't know how to figure that out it's alright.
To figure out 365 by 3, first, times 300 and 3. That makes 900.
Second, you times 60 and 3, which is 180.
Last, you times 5 by 3, and that makes 15.
After that, you plus all the number together, so:

900+180=1,080
1,080+15=1,095

So the answer is...1,095 ml

Blog ya later!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Claire,

    Well done on completing another excellent SLJ activity, "Weird and Wonderful". I really loved the way you explained every step of your maths equation. You're absolutely right that the cactus would need 1095 mls of water in a year to survive. It really isn't very much, is it?

    I did a bit of research myself, and due to the African desert often having one downpour of rain every few weeks, a cactus soaks up the water and stores it until the next downpour. This means it can feed itself the 3ml of water every day. What an intelligent plant that is.

    Did you do some of these maths equations with your class last year? I am really proud to see that you are working on your math and literacy skills over the summer by participating in the Summer Learning Journey. Keep up the awesome work, Claire.

    Kindest regards,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Megan,
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!
    No, 1095 mls of water each year isn't much.
    I think that the cactus is very smart if it can store the water. This is new information to me!
    Yes, I've done math solutions like this in class before.
    Thx,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.