Sunday 13 January 2019

SLJ Plastic yes or Plastic no?

Ni hao! I've been doing some more SLJ. For this activity, I had to ask my family what they think of Countdown not giving plastic bags.
Here is my Week 4 Day 4 Activity:

Me: Do you like what Countdown's doing now, what they're doing with the plastic bags?
Sister: It is really good that they're doing this, not using plastic bags mean that we get to help sea turtles. But also I don't quite like it because we use plastic bags for rubbish bags and if we don't have enough plastic bags, we don't have anywhere to put our rubbish in.
I think that it's okay that they stopped using plastic bags.
What do you think?

Blog ya later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire,

    I'm Leslie and I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team, reading your blog from my home in Canada. It's the middle of winter here so I'm looking out my window at snow covering the ground - that might be hard for you to imagine as you enjoy a summer day in Auckland!

    I'm so glad that you've chosen to participate in the Summer Learning Journey program. Good for you!

    And I'm impressed that you asked your sister's opinion about Countdown's decision to no longer supply plastic bags for their customers. I can understand your sister's concern about not having bags for your rubbish bins. Are there other ways we can solve that problem? We use garbage bags in our rubbish bin too but I'm thinking we should perhaps not do that any more. We have a composter in our yard so all of our food waste goes in that. Perhaps we could just put the rest of our rubbish in our plastic rubbish bin, and then put it in the garbage bin on garbage pick-up day, without using a plastic bag as well. I hate the idea of all of our rubbish being thrown on the ground in a dump week after week! We need to find a way to reduce the amount of rubbish we're producing, don't we?

    I agree with you that it's a good idea for Countdown to stop giving out bags. When I go shopping I take reusable fabric bags and laundry baskets - they're easy to load the groceries into and they're easy to carry into the house. So we don't use plastic shopping bags at all. But I have to keep working on ways to deal with the other plastic things we still use...

    I hope you're enjoying the Summer Learning Journey activities. You're doing a great job of them!

    And I'm enjoying reading your blog!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.