Sunday 6 January 2019

SLJ 🌟✩⚝✭✯⭒⭑

Kia ora! I've been doing SLJ. For this activity, I had to write a short summary about The Seven Sisters.
Here is my Week 3 Day 4 Activity 2:

Mitai had 7 brothers and they lived in the village of Maketu. One day, the brothers go hunting and see 7 beautiful women. The brothers fall in love all except Mitai. The brothers took the women home to make them their wives, the women never leave their house and the brothers only went out to find seafood for them(the women only eat seafood) .

The 7 brothers were so bewitched, they grew skinnier and Miati grew suspicious. He hid by the women's house and saw 7 birds on a branch that flew away. Mitai turns into a bird and followed the 7 bird/women, they land and turn back into women. Miati hear their plan to have the brothers dead. Mitai goes back to his brothers and tells them the women's plan, Mitai gives each brother a magical net to catch their wives in.

When the women come back, the brothers throw their nets on their wives and Mitai takes the captured women to Uru-te-ngangara, god of the stars.

Uru-te-ngangara places the women in the farthest heavens yet he lets them some out once a year. They are known as the seven sisters named Matariki, Tupu-a-rangi, Tupu-a-nuku, Waipuna-a-rangi, Uru-a-rangi, Waiti and Waita.

I tried making this review short but I can't really explain things shorter,(I mostly like to explain everything I can) sorry.
Blog ya later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire,

    It's Leslie here, reading your blog from my home in Canada as a member of the Summer Learning Journey team. I love that we can be on 2 opposite sides of the planet and yet both participate in the same program. How cool is that?!!

    Your summary of The Seven Stars of Matariki is very well done. Good for you. It can be hard to give a short version of a story without missing some of the important details. You've done well!

    This is a wonderful myth, isn't it? I find it fascinating that ancient peoples were able to look around and create stories to explain why things were as they were. Of course, we have myths that are contemporary too. People from all time periods have been good at making up stories. Do you enjoy writing?

    Because I live in the northern hemisphere, I don't see the same night sky as you do. We have a northern star that's part of our night sky and one of the biggest constellations that points to the north star is called "The Big Dipper". I love looking up at the sky each night, trying to find the dipper.

    Do you have a favourite constellation?

    I hope you're having a lot of fun this summer and I hope you're really enjoying these activities.

    I'm enjoying reading your blog. Good work!!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.