Monday 7 January 2019

SLJ Acid Rain

Kia ora! I've been doing SLJ. For this activity, I had to learn about acid rain then write a short story of me coming out of my house after an acid rain.
Here is my Week 3 Day 5 Activity 3:

Has it stopped? I wonder. I reach out for the doorknob and I twist.
Oh wow, just...wow. Before the acid rain, everything outside my house was normal. The forest trees had leaves, animals would be glimpsed running through the forest, birds would sing from their nests, but now? Now the forest is a huge mess, trees have fallen and their roots stick up, leaves have fallen off their branches, now on the floor like a leaf carpet, the grass that once was green, is now brown and crisp, dead birds lie on the ground with their beaks open wide, and a deer lies on it's side with it's eyes open in fear.
I walk into the forest to see if anythings living. Ewwww, there's a possum and a frog(both dead). I'm saying Ewwww because the frog is.....kind of.....destroyed, it's got it's stomach open.....Ewwww.
Wow, this is what happens after acid rain.

Have you ever have acid rain before?
Blog ya later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire,

    It's Leslie here, reading your story from my home in Canada as a member of the Summer Learning Journey team. You've created an excellent story representing what it might be like to go outside after an acid rain storm.

    Wouldn't it be sad to have our world ruined by acid rain? Hopefully this will never happen!! If we make good choices in New Zealand, in Canada and in other countries around the world, we can avoid this kind of disaster. And I think we will because people want to work together and want to improve how we impact on the planet.

    We had some worries about acid rain in Canada a few years ago. We noticed that some of the fish in our lakes were dying and the trees were being affected by the toxic waste that was polluting our air and falling with the rain. Our government created new laws that required companies to change how they dealt with their toxic waste and many of us have changed how we do our shopping, reducing the amount of plastic we use etc. So our lakes are healthier now and our air is clearer. Good things are happening!!

    I hope you're having a good summer and I hope you're enjoying being a part of this program!! I'm enjoying reading your blog.

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.