Monday 24 December 2018

SLJ Endangered animals

Kia ora, I have been doing some more SLJ. For this activity, I had to watch a video about an endangered animal, then I had to put some information down about what I learned from the video.
Here is my Week 1 Day 3 Activity 3:

WWF(World Wildlife Fund) is working to save the Saimmaa ringed seals.
WWF are trying to save these seals by making them snowbanks so they can have their seal pups, if the seals don't have the snowbanks, then they have their pups on open ice where there is no shelter against predators, the cold and other disturbances. They could die.
One year, the seals gave birth to 81 pups and around 90 percent of them were born on man-made snowbanks.


Blog ya later!

2 comments:

  1. Hola Claire,

    You are right, WWF are building snowbanks for the Saimaa Ringed Seals. WWF is doing an important job to protect the newly born Seal Pups from the dangers that surround them. You have listened carefully to the information on the video and found some information about how building the snowbanks has helped the Seals, ka pai!

    Perhaps next time you could add some information about the techniques and tools they use to build these snowbanks that protect the Seal Pups and help them survive. Do you recognise any of the tools you saw in the video?

    I am concerned about how little a number of Saimaa Ringed Seals there are out there. It reminds me of our treasured bird, the Kakapo who are also an endangered species. Do you know of any other endangered species in Aotearoa? Let me know in the comment section below. Keep up the good work!

    Toe feiloa'i fo'i,

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cia,
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!
    Next time, I will add some information about what WWF use to build the snowbanks. I think the tools they used in the video were probably Snow Pushers.
    Maui dolphins are one of the most endangered animals in NZ. I hope they can be saved before extinction.
    Thanks,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.